Mastercard has specific rates for lodging and car-rental merchants
Because lodging and auto-rental merchants have unique needs, there’s a special rate category designed for them. These merchants take extended authorizations – meaning the card may be authorized weeks before the sale is finalized. Similarly, final amounts of the sale are often different from the original authorization. For “regular” merchants, this would result in downgraded transactions. But lodging/auto-rental merchants can follow specific rules to access low rates.
- Be classified as Lodging (MCC 7011) or Car Rental (MCC 7512)
- Magnetic stripe, contactless, or chip data read, key-entered, on subsequent stays with customer’s signature on file.
- Obtain and pass 1 valid electronic authorization.
- Authorization and settlement MCC must match.
- Settle within 1 day.
- Transaction must include settlement detail addendum.
What are the rates?
Regulated Debit – 0.05% + $0.22
Downgrade: This card type does not downgrade.
Only lodging / auto rental merchants are eligible.