Visa has a special rate category specifically designed for nonprofits. Not all nonprofits will qualify – but if you’re classified with the MCC of 8398, or as a “Charity or Social Service” organization, then you’ll qualify for far-reduced interchange rates.
- Only Charitable and Social Service organizations are eligible (MCC 8398). Churches, schools, associations, and other nonprofits are not eligible for this rate category.
- CPS Qualified – Magnetic stripe, contactless, or chip data read, obtain customer’s signature, E-Commerce, or key-entered
- Authorize and settle within 1 day.
- Obtain and pass 1 valid electronic authorization.
- When processing a Non-PIN debit transaction the authorization and settlement amount must match.
What are the rates?
CPS Retail 2 CNP Debit - 0.65% + $0.15 (Capped at $2.00)
Downgrade (any reason): CPS Card-Not-Present Debit, 1.65% + $0.15/txn
Regulated Debit - 0.05% + $0.22
Downgrade: This card type does not downgrade.
You’ll only receive these rates if you’re a registered nonprofit with the MCC of 8398.